When formed in 1814, Pike County included the Townships of Middle Smithfield, Delaware, Upper Smithfield, Lackawaxen and Palmyra. By the Act of April 1, 1863, a portion of Pike County was cut off to form part of Monroe County; otherwise, its boundaries remain as they were established by the Act of 1814. It was named for Zebulon Montgomery Pike, discoverer of Pike's Peak and a General killed in the war of 1812. The County Seat is at Milford. The original Courthouse was constructed in 1815. The present Courthouse was completed in 1874. The Administration Building was completed in 1985. The latest County facility is the Pike County Jail which was completed in 1995. Blooming Grove Township --PikeChamber.com - 2007
MILFORD, PENNSYLVANIA: Established in 1796, Milford offers the best of small town living. Located less than seventy-five miles from New York City, Milford offers nature at its best—Federal and State Parks, streams, lakes, waterfalls and pristine forests. The Victorian Village of Milford is a great place for lovers of antiques. Streets are tree-lined and homes are charming. Each year Milford hosts many delightful events, including the Black Bear Film Festival, the Milford Jazz Festival, and the Pear Blossom Festival. The famous Grey Towers and the Columns Museum are only two of Milford’s historic attractions. There are many fabulous restaurants offering all types of delicious cuisine.
Created December 17, 1850, from parts of Lackawaxen and Palmyra Townships. A visitor passing through about the time of the American Revolution discovered there an abandoned farm with a grove of large apple trees in bloom. They had obviously been planted many years before.
The oldest of Pike's Townships, was in existence before 1766 as part of Northampton County. It was named because it bordered the Delaware River and originally extended west to Luzerne County line.
Created April 17, 1832, from Upper Smithfield Township. Named for Daniel Westbrook Dingman, a member of the Pennsylvania Legislature and a County Judge for 26 years. His grandfather, Andrew Dingman first came to the area about 1735 and started Dingman Ferry.
Created April 24, 1839, from Palmyra Township. Named for the popular Revolutionary War General Nathanel Greene, who fought at Boston, Long Island, Trenton and Brandywine.
Was named for the river which bore the Indian name meaning swift waters. It was one of the original townships of Wayne County in 1798.
Created August 19, 1829, from Delaware Township. Listed on Tax rolls for Upper Smithfield Township in 1815 was Joseph Leighman, paying 55 cents on 442 acres. In 1824 his name was spelled Leaman and by 1832 was Lehmman.
Incorporated as a borough on January 18, 1905, was originally part of Westfall Township. Named during the Mexican War after the American Army captured the Mexican town of Matamoras. That town had originally been named for Rev. Mariano Matamoras, a hero of the Mexican Revolution.
Incorporated as a borough on December 25, 1874, and was originally part of Milford Township. Milford's history dates back to 1733 when Tom Quick was the first settler. There are numerous historic buildings throughout the village, noteworthy among them are Forest Hall, Hotel Fauchere, the Court House, Grey Towers, The Columns, the Upper Mill and the Community House, the Callahan House, the Dimmick Inn and the Tom Quick Inn.
Created April 17, 1832, from Upper Smithfield Township. John Biddis laid out the village in 1796. Some say it was named for Milford Haven in Wales where William Biddis (father of John) was born. Other say the Wells' Mill and the spot where the Delaware was forded resulted in the name Mill-Ford.
Originally much larger, was formed in 1798 as a part of Wayne County. Like Bethany, Caanan, Promise Land and Lebanon, it was named because of its Biblical connection. The ancient town of Palmyra (or Tadmor) today is in yria.
Created December 16, 1851, from parts of Delaware and Lehman Townships. Named in honor of Hon. James Madison Porter who built the first house there at Portersville by Porter Lake in 1849.
Created September 25, 1852, from parts of Lackawaxen, Westfall and Milford Townships, bears the name which Indians used to describe the Creek. In comparison to the nearby Lackawaxen "swift waters," the Shohola was more quiet, tranquil or peaceful. Those who ask for a one-word translation of "Shohola" might well select "peaceful".
Created January 31, 1839, from Milford Township. Simon Westfall (or Westfael) first settled there before 1743. His son Simon built the stone house in Matamoras. Two descendants, Cornelius and Jacob served as Justices of the Peace.
When formed in 1814, Pike County included the Townships of Middle Smithfield, Delaware, Upper Smithfield, Lackawaxen and Palmyra. By the Act of April 1, 1863, a portion of Pike County was cut off to form part of Monroe County; otherwise, its boundaries remain as they were established by the Act of 1814. It was named for Zebulon Montgomery Pike, discoverer of Pike's Peak and a General killed in the war of 1812.
The County Seat is at Milford. The original Courthouse was constructed in 1815. The present Courthouse was completed in 1874. The Administration Building was completed in 1985. The latest County facility is the Pike County Jail which was completed in 1995.
Blooming Grove Township
--PikeChamber.com - 2007
DINGMANS FERRY, PENNSYLVANIA: Established in 1766, Dingmans Ferry was once a booming little river town. The name comes from the ferry business started by the Dingman family to take people across the Delaware River for a small fee. The Dingmans Ferry Bridge is still privately owned and operated, one of only a very few privately owned bridges in the United States
MATAMORAS PENNSYLVANIA: Matamoras is a borough in Pike County, Pennsylvania. Matamoras is the easternmost point in Pennsylvania. According to the United States Census Bureau, as of the census of 2000, there were 2,312 people, 925 households, and 634 families residing in the borough. Matamoras got its name during the Mexican War, after the American army captured the Mexican town of Matamoras. That town had originally been named for Mariano Matamoras, a hero of the Mexican Revolution. The Pike County town was incorporated as a borough in 1905.
Matamoras is just off of scenic Route 6 in the northern tier of Pennsylvania, and it is a quaint, slower-paced getaway destination with easy access to hiking, biking, birdwatching, and other outdoor pursuits. Proximity to the Delaware River also makes it attractive to those who love to kayak and canoe. Antiques hunters, drive-in movie fans, and anybody who appreciates small-town life will likely find Matamoras a lovely town to visit.
-visitpa.com - 2006
SHOHOLA, PENNSYLVANIA: The Village of Shohola was settled in 1772. The 45 square mile township, extending from the Delaware River to Route 6 was formed on September 26, 1852. Shohola, is the Lenni Lenape native American word for "Place of Peace". Approximately one-third of Shohola is owned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, with the Township containing a portion of the Delaware State Forest and sections of three state gamelands.
-shohola.org - 3/8/06